Our Saxophone Teachers
Mitchell teaches Saxophone at a beginner through to advanced level, focusing on jazz and contemporary styles, while he studies for his BMus in Music Performance at Monash University.
His saxophone teaching is influenced by Sigurd Rascher, the founder of modern Saxophone technique, and by transcribing and analyzing his favourite sax players such as Cannonball Adderley.
Mitchel likes to work on learning the fundamentals of reading and playing music but also letting his students be creative through improvisation and composition to reinforce musical concepts.
Mitchell has been teaching for over 5 years and has been playing music in a variety of different settings.
Mitchell teaches for leisure as well as for AMEB grading.
Casey’s Teaching Approach
Having taught music to hundreds of people of all ages over 35 years Casey has developed an approach that is inspiring and productive for all of his students. Casey adapts to a student’s ability, experience and interest.
The Fundamentals – All Levels
- Develop a love and passion for your preferred music
- The importance of listening.
- Producing a good tone.
- Developing fluent technique.
- Developing a strong sense of pulse.
- Achieving performance standard on all pieces, this goes for all levels including beginners
- Understanding the language of music.
- Setting goals – exams, assessments and performances.
- Learning how to practice efficiently.
- Setting up your instrument
- How to hold you instrument
- Producing a tone – correct embouchure
- Start with lesson 1 in you book
- Learn your first five notes
- Pieces & Repertoire
- Sight Reading
- Scales & Arpeggios – major & minor
- Articulation and technique
- Exam Preparation
- Aural practice
- Tunes & Repertoire – memorizing
- Scales – Major, Minor, Pentatonic, Modes, Diminished
- Transcribing – by ear
- Patterns & Licks
Intermediate & AdvancedClassical
Jazz and Contemporary
Casey studied at The Sydney Conservatorium of Music under the great Don Burrows AO MBE. He graduated in Jazz Studies in 1985. From 1985 to 2004 Casey worked full time in Sydney’s Musical Theatre, on shows such as Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Les Miserables, Chicago and many others. Having emigrated to the UK in 2004 Casey has been constantly busy, performing as a Jazz soloist in and around Shropshire, Wales, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, London and pretty much the length & breadth of the UK. Casey also runs a variety of bands, from Straight Ahead Jazz, Latin, Be Bop.. to Funk.
"Our daughter Eleanor has been studying the flute with Casey for about three years now and the improvement in her playing has been wonderful. Casey’s patience and attention (which he has in abundance) have paid dividends – even down to the amount of the practice she does. She used to consider practicing a chore but not since Casey began tutoring her she now practices willingly and happily – no more threats required from me! Not only does Casey teach the child to play the instrument of their choice he also teaches them to love the music itself and the fact that they are enjoying what they are doing in itself improves their playing."
Alan Thomas - UK
"I badly needed a flute lesson and who better than Casey. I tracked him down, set up a Zoom connection and hey presto. He's great - detailed, an accomplished musician, never lets you off the hook and is full of ideas to keep you refreshed and inspired to keep playing, even on those days when your brain and fingers aren't working at the same speed!”
Helen Hemberg, Flute - Stockholm
“I recently took my grade 8 exam, and received the result yesterday (135/150, so a distinction!). I just wanted to write to tell you, and to say thank you for giving me so much help with my pieces and scales. Thank you once again for being such a fantastic teacher for the last 5 years.”
Amy Fry 14 years old, Flute. UK
"…I wish I had discovered Casey years ago. I’ve been struggling on my own for ages, but in the first lesson, he gave some purpose & direction to my practising…"
Danny Jones- Trombone . UK
"Having always wanted to play Saxophone I thought I’d left it too late in life to learn but having found Casey with his great teaching skills and patience, he is helping me achieve my ambition."
Roger Banks – Alto Saxophone .UK
"Casey is a versatile musician with a breadth of knowledge and experience. As a teacher he imparts his knowledge with appropriate pace and sensitivity to his students needs and ability level. Casey’s relaxed manner, obvious love of his subject and no-nonsense approach, allows his students to make progress quickly towards their goals."
Stuart Thomas – Electric Guitar, UK
- Loreto Convent –Sydney, Australia – 1985 to 1991
- Ravenswood Girls High School –Sydney, Australia – 1997 to 1999
- St Ignatious College – Sydney, Australia – 1999 to 2002
- Our Lady Of The Sacred Heart – Sydney, Australia – 2002 to 2004
- Penrith Conservatorium of Music – Sydney , Australia -2002 to 2004
- Shrewsbury School – United Kingdom – 2004 to 2006
- Shrewsbury High School - United Kingdom – 2004 to 2011
- Prestfelde School - United Kingdom – 2004 to 2007
- Bedstone College - United Kingdom – 2007 to 2011
- Llanfair Caereinion High School – Wales – 2007 to 2011
- Nottingham Trent University – 2014 to 2017
- Private one on one lessons – 2004 to 2020
- Cognitive and critical-thinking ability improvements
- Improved posture
- Strengthened core muscles
- Improved control of breathing and general airway function
- Stress relief
- Improvements in hand-eye coordination
- Develop confidence and calmness under pressure
- You'll be the jazziest one in the room!