Our Guitar Teachers
Ana Maria Rojas Leal
Ana Maria has been playing guitar at around 10 years. She first fell in love with the sounds of the guitar when she has learned the basic structures of the Colombian traditional music at the University of The Andes.
Ana Maria's goal is to teach students the importance of having the correct technique in order to play their instruments properly. Also, ensuring that students are kept interested and enjoy playing the style of music they like while at the same time applying the essential basic knowledge necessary. Overall, generally, making sure that each student stays inspired and excited about playing music!
The things that are to be covered in class would be: - Applying knowledge for great rhythmic playing to accompany drums and bass in a group/band situation
- Correct ways of tuning guitar (by ear and using tuner)
- The correct way to strum for vocal accompaniment
- Finger picking exercises for beginners and intermediate/advanced players
- Improvising skills (soloing over a Blues progression etc.)
- Theory studies
- Scales practice
- And riffs
Ana Maria teaches for leisure as well as preparing students to AMEB contemporary and Rockshool exams
Ana Maria began to teach violin and viola in 2013 at the University of the Andes and after that with Batuta foundation and with the music programs of the Capital City. In 2018, Ana Maria taught violin and viola at the Pedagogic University of Colombia. She conducted a children orchestra during 2019.
Ana Maria enjoying teaching children as well as adult students. Ana Maria is focusing on developing individual sound in every student. She can combine teaching methods such as Traditional and Suzuki to better accommodate the student.Patience and encouragement are her best qualities as a teacher.
If grade exams are the main goal for the individual, Ana Maria is comfortable to teach AMEB, ABRSM and the other syllabuses.
Zachary is currently studying jazz, majoring in vocal performance at Monash University.
He previously studied piano performance at The University of Melbourne at the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (2012). He also has a TAFE diploma in popular music performance (2008).
Zachary is a multi-instrumentalist who teaches guitar, ukulele, singing, piano and percussion. He teaches all styles, including Popular music, Jazz and Classical.
Zachary performs music at Christ Church St Kilda. He previously performed regularly on the Bourke Street Mall, where only the most experienced and professional buskers may perform His music lesson videos on his YouTube channel "Learn Music Like Language" have been viewed over 10,000 times. These videos have dozens of great comments such as "It's really helpful and useful!" "You really helped me, thanks," and "best teacher."
Zachary helps students to achieve excellent results in AMEB exams, including Classical guitar exams and the new AMEB Rock School popular music guitar exams that are recognised internationally!
Zachary is a music education author who wrote the highly rated book "How To Sing Any Song - 14 Secret Vocal Hacks" click this link to read the book: https://www.amazon.com.au/How-Sing-Any-Song-Practical-ebook/dp/B07NSYPMFT
Zachary is passionate about researching the learning methods of the greatest musicians of all time such as J.S. Bach, Mozart, Miles Davis & Stevie Wonder. He has discovered that all these great musicians learned music like a language - they listened and imitated, learned music by ear, improvised, and composed. Zachary helps you learn music like a language. A typical lesson plan is as follows:
- Student chooses one of their favorite songs
- Zac teaches the whole song, by rote and by ear
- Zac teaches how to identify and perform the parts of the song - the rhythm patterns, tonal patterns, and chord patterns.
- Zac teaches how to master the rhythm, tonal and chord patterns in a fun way by improvising and creating simple songs or compositions with them
- Through these little music composition exercises, students gain a deep understanding of music theory, reading and writing music notation.
Mitchell Geddes teaches guitar to a beginner and intermediate level, with a focus on pop, rock and jazz styles while he studies for his BMus in Music Performance at Monash University.
His guitar teaching aims to instill students with a solid technical foundation, and a working knowledge of musical concepts, which the students can always use as tools at any stage in their music making. Mitchell has been teaching guitar for over 5 years and has been playing music in a variety of different settings.
Mitchel teaches guitar for leisure as well as for AMEB Contemporary and Rockschool exams.
Andy Cotter is a professional guitarist with over thirty years of teaching experience. He completed high school with a grade 8 in classical guitar and then went on to graduate with a Bachelor of Music from Latrobe University in 1991. Andy has experience teaching a wide variety of guitar and bass styles, including Classical, Jazz, Rock and Pop. He has performed and collaborated with some of Australia's best know musicians, including Scott Carne from Kids in the Kitchen and Adam Thompson from Chocolate Starfish. Andy continues to perform regularly in private school musicals throughout Melbourne.
Andy employs the following teaching strategies.
- Beginner students are encouraged to explore various genres of music to establish a favourite player or style.
- Some technical facility is established before students learn to read music.
- Young beginners are taught with a classical, fingerstyle method.
- An emphasis on developing rhythmic skills, particularly when playing contemporary music.
- Andy encourages students to take AMEB and Rockschool exams.
Andy enjoys a great rapport with his students and is passionate about passing on his lifelong love of a wide array of musical styles, to them.
- Develop coordination and finger dexterity
- Improved mental acuity and focus
- Benefits to timing and improved time management
- Stress relief and reduction in anxiety
- Exposure to a wide variety of music types
- Improvements in confidence and self-esteem
- You look really cool!