Our Flute Teachers
Molly is an experienced educator who is passionate about using music as a tool to enhance an individual's overall lifestyle and wellbeing. Molly prides herself on being patient, accommodating and finding ways to create curious and motivated learners through unlocking each student's own individual learning styles.
Molly is currently working towards her Honours qualification at the University of Melbourne having already completed her Bachelor of Music majoring in flute performance.
Her approach to flute teaching focuses on building a strong technical foundation from the beginning, with an emphasis on ensuring her students have confidence in their ability to improve their tone quality, musicality and technical proficiency, but most importantly an awareness of how their body and mind (including posture, breathing and positive affirmations) can transform their development as a musician.
Molly teaches Flute to the advanced and Voice and Ukulele to the beginner level.
Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Keyboard, Jazz Improvising- any instrument, Jazz Harmony, Arranging for Bands, Music Theory, Sibelius Software, Exam preparation-classical or Jazz
Casey's Teaching Approach
Having taught music to hundreds of people of all ages over 35 years Casey has developed an approach that is inspiring and productive for all of his students. Casey adapts to a student's ability, experience and interest.
The Fundamentals - All Levels
- Develop a love and passion for your preferred music
- The importance of listening.
- Producing a good tone.
- Developing fluent technique.
- Developing a strong sense of pulse.
- Achieving performance standard on all pieces, this goes for all levels including beginners
- Understanding the language of music.
- Setting goals - exams, assessments and performances.
- Learning how to practice efficiently.
- Setting up your instrument
- How to hold you instrument
- Producing a tone - correct embouchure
- Start with lesson 1 in you book
- Learn your first five notes
Intermediate & Advanced
- Pieces & Repertoire
- Sight Reading
- Scales & Arpeggios - major & minor
- Articulation and technique
- Exam Preparation
- Aural practice
Jazz and Contemporary
- Tunes & Repertoire - memorizing
- Scales - Major, Minor, Pentatonic, Modes, Diminished
- Transcribing - by ear
- Patterns & Licks
Casey studied at The Sydney Conservatorium of Music under the great Don Burrows AO MBE. He graduated in Jazz Studies in 1985. From 1985 to 2004 Casey worked full time in Sydney's Musical Theatre, on shows such as Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Les Miserables, Chicago and many others. Having emigrated to the UK in 2004 Casey has been constantly busy, performing as a Jazz soloist in and around Shropshire, Wales, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, London and pretty much the length & breadth of the UK. Casey also runs a variety of bands, from Straight Ahead Jazz, Latin, Be Bop.. to Funk.
Alan Thomas - UK
"Our daughter Eleanor has been studying the flute with Casey for about three years now and the improvement in her playing has been wonderful. Casey's patience and attention (which he has in abundance) have paid dividends - even down to the amount of the practice she does. She used to consider practicing a chore but not since Casey began tutoring her she now practices willingly and happily - no more threats required from me! Not only does Casey teach the child to play the instrument of their choice he also teaches them to love the music itself and the fact that they are enjoying what they are doing in itself improves their playing."
Helen Hemberg, Flute - Stockholm
"I badly needed a flute lesson and who better than Casey. I tracked him down, set up a Zoom connection and hey presto. He's great - detailed, an accomplished musician, never lets you off the hook and is full of ideas to keep you refreshed and inspired to keep playing, even on those days when your brain and fingers aren't working at the same speed!"
Amy Fry 14 years old, Flute. UK
"I recently took my grade 8 exam, and received the result yesterday (135/150, so a distinction!). I just wanted to write to tell you, and to say thank you for giving me so much help with my pieces and scales. Thank you once again for being such a fantastic teacher for the last 5 years."
- Loreto Convent -Sydney, Australia - 1985 to 1991
- Ravenswood Girls High School -Sydney, Australia - 1997 to 1999
- St Ignatious College - Sydney, Australia - 1999 to 2002
- Our Lady Of The Sacred Heart - Sydney, Australia - 2002 to 2004
- Penrith Conservatorium of Music - Sydney , Australia -2002 to 2004
- Shrewsbury School - United Kingdom - 2004 to 2006
- Shrewsbury High School - United Kingdom - 2004 to 2011
- Prestfelde School - United Kingdom - 2004 to 2007
- Bedstone College - United Kingdom - 2007 to 2011
- Llanfair Caereinion High School - Wales - 2007 to 2011
- Nottingham Trent University - 2014 to 2017
- Private one on one lessons - 2004 to 2020
- Enhances coordination, finger flexibility and dexterity
- Improves lung capacity and lip control / conditioning
- Boosts concentration and time-management skills
- Gain an appreciation for delicate and dulcet music
- Develop mental acuity and clear-headedness
- Improve posture and back positioning
- Strengthen core muscular tone and control