The clarinet is one of the most rewarding instruments to learn, should you take the time to master it. We offer clarinet lessons for all ages, tailored to your skill level and the goals you have in mind. From fundamentals like proper breathing and timing to more advanced skills such as intonation and articulation, our music teachers cover everything you need to know to play and love the clarinet. Whether you're a complete beginner or an experienced looking to polish your skills for a career, we can tailor our lessons to meet your needs. We offer lessons for both kids and adults.
Enquire online today for more information or to book trial clarinet lessons in Melbourne.
Lessons Tailored To You
There are several clarinet styles, each with their own playing methods and unique differences. If you're completely new to clarinet, your teacher can sit down with you and help you work out which style of clarinet best suits you, and tailor your lessons to the way you learn best. Our lessons are available in sessions of 20 minutes to 60 minutes, depending on the type of lesson (in person, online, group, etc).
Clarinet Lessons Curriculum
At Alla's Music Studio we're committed to offering the best possible lessons and curriculum, ensuring our students can achieve the highest possible level of musical competency. Our curriculum depends on the goals of each student, with options for classical grading through AMEB, leisure grading through AMEB, professional career maintenance and preparation, or leisure learning for more casual musicians. Click to read more about lessons and our full curriculum.
Instrument Purchase And Hire
If you don't currently own a clarinet we offer instrument hire and purchase from our studio. We offer competitive prices to all our students to make it easy for you to get the instrument you need.
Contact us today for more information.
Why You Should Learn The Clarinet
- Improved control of breathing and general airway function
- Improved posture
- Strengthened core muscles
- Improvements in hand-eye coordination
- Develop confidence and calmness under pressure
- Cognitive and critical-thinking ability improvements
- Stress relief
- You'll look really cool!
Our Clarinet Teachers
Mitchell teaches Clarinet at a beginner through to advanced level, focusing on jazz and contemporary styles, while he studies for his BMus in Music Performance at Monash University.
Mitchel likes to work on learning the fundamentals of reading and playing music but also letting his students be creative through improvisation and composition to reinforce musical concepts.
Mitchell teaches for leisure as well as for AMEB grading.
Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Keyboard, Jazz Improvising- any instrument, Jazz Harmony, Arranging for Bands, Music Theory, Sibelius Software, Exam preparation-classical or Jazz
Casey's Teaching Approach
Having taught music to hundreds of people of all ages over 35 years Casey has developed an approach that is inspiring and productive for all of his students. Casey adapts to a student's ability, experience and interest.
The Fundamentals - All Levels
- Develop a love and passion for your preferred music
- The importance of listening.
- Producing a good tone.
- Developing fluent technique.
- Developing a strong sense of pulse.
- Achieving performance standard on all pieces, this goes for all levels including beginners
- Understanding the language of music.
- Setting goals - exams, assessments and performances.
- Learning how to practice efficiently.
- Setting up your instrument
- How to hold you instrument
- Producing a tone - correct embouchure
- Start with lesson 1 in you book
- Learn your first five notes
Intermediate & Advanced
- Pieces & Repertoire
- Sight Reading
- Scales & Arpeggios - major & minor
- Articulation and technique
- Exam Preparation
- Aural practice
Jazz and Contemporary
- Tunes & Repertoire - memorizing
- Scales - Major, Minor, Pentatonic, Modes, Diminished
- Transcribing - by ear
- Patterns & Licks
Casey studied at The Sydney Conservatorium of Music under the great Don Burrows AO MBE. He graduated in Jazz Studies in 1985. From 1985 to 2004 Casey worked full time in Sydney's Musical Theatre, on shows such as Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Les Miserables, Chicago and many others. Having emigrated to the UK in 2004 Casey has been constantly busy, performing as a Jazz soloist in and around Shropshire, Wales, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, London and pretty much the length & breadth of the UK. Casey also runs a variety of bands, from Straight Ahead Jazz, Latin, Be Bop.. to Funk.
Alan Thomas - UK
"Our daughter Eleanor has been studying the flute with Casey for about three years now and the improvement in her playing has been wonderful. Casey's patience and attention (which he has in abundance) have paid dividends - even down to the amount of the practice she does. She used to consider practicing a chore but not since Casey began tutoring her she now practices willingly and happily - no more threats required from me! Not only does Casey teach the child to play the instrument of their choice he also teaches them to love the music itself and the fact that they are enjoying what they are doing in itself improves their playing."
Helen Hemberg, Flute - Stockholm
"I badly needed a flute lesson and who better than Casey. I tracked him down, set up a Zoom connection and hey presto. He's great - detailed, an accomplished musician, never lets you off the hook and is full of ideas to keep you refreshed and inspired to keep playing, even on those days when your brain and fingers aren't working at the same speed!"
Amy Fry 14 years old, Flute. UK
"I recently took my grade 8 exam, and received the result yesterday (135/150, so a distinction!). I just wanted to write to tell you, and to say thank you for giving me so much help with my pieces and scales. Thank you once again for being such a fantastic teacher for the last 5 years."
- Loreto Convent -Sydney, Australia - 1985 to 1991
- Ravenswood Girls High School -Sydney, Australia - 1997 to 1999
- St Ignatious College - Sydney, Australia - 1999 to 2002
- Our Lady Of The Sacred Heart - Sydney, Australia - 2002 to 2004
- Penrith Conservatorium of Music - Sydney , Australia -2002 to 2004
- Shrewsbury School - United Kingdom - 2004 to 2006
- Shrewsbury High School - United Kingdom - 2004 to 2011
- Prestfelde School - United Kingdom - 2004 to 2007
- Bedstone College - United Kingdom - 2007 to 2011
- Llanfair Caereinion High School - Wales - 2007 to 2011
- Nottingham Trent University - 2014 to 2017
- Private one on one lessons - 2004 to 2020
As well as clarinet lessons in Melbourne, we offer lessons for a wide range of instruments, including saxophone, flute, trumpet, piano and more. If you're looking to try clarinet lessons, we offer trial lessons with no commitment, allowing you to try instruments and teachers without committing to a full lesson plan.
For more information on our lessons, curriculum, or to book your first lesson with us, contact Alla's Music Studio today.
We offer face to face and online music lessons. Many lessons are also available in group format as well.
We provide preparation for AMEB, ABRSM, VCE and other examinations.
We organize student's performances several times a year.
We can book music lessons for all of your children at the same day and time.
We can sell and hire music instruments and books for you from our studio.
Discounts are available for families with multiple children enrolled, as well as for multiple lessons booked in a week.